ORTHODONTIC ASSISTANT (OA) PERMIT COURSE FOR DENTAL ASSISTANTS
Orthodontic Assistants ... desirous of seeking licensure as an Orthodontic Assistant ... you can enroll in EFDAAs Dental Board approved 84 hour Orthodontic Permit Program for Dental Assistants and just 55 hour program for RDAs in May at our Fullerton training site..
Course will train you to:
- Prepare teeth for bonding, and select, preposition, and cure orthodontic brackets after their position has been approved by the licensed dentist.
- Remove only orthodontic brackets and attachments with removal of the bonding material by the supervising licensed dentist.
- Size, fit, and cement orthodontic bands.
- Remove orthodontic bands and remove excess cement from supragingival surfaces of teeth with a hand instrument.
- Place and ligate archwires.
- Remove excess cement with an ultrasonic scaler from supragingival surfaces of teeth undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Completion of the following must be submitted with the registration form:
- 6 months work experience (must be certified by DDS; RDAs are exempt from this requirement)
- Dental Board approved course in the California Dental Practice Act
- Dental Board approved 8 hour course in Infection Control (RDAs are exempt from this requirement)
- Basic life support (CPR)
- Proof of Liability Insurance Coverage
General Program Information
- The theory portion of the OA program will be conducted as homestudy. This instruction can be done in the privacy of your own home. A written examination will be conducted after you complete the homestudy material at the examination is given on the last day of class.
- Classroom instruction will be scheduled either on Saturdays or Sundays for a total of three extended days for your convenience.
- In addition to classroom instruction, you will be required to complete clinical instruction in your dental office or a facility that allows you to perform clinically these orthodontic procedures. This requirement begins after you have completed the online education and classroom instruction.
Tuition cost: $700
If you are unable to attend our courses (except for the RDAEF programs) and we receive your cancellation at least five business days prior to the course, you will receive a full refund except for a $100 processing fee. All cancellations must be received by our office via email at email@example.com.
Occasionally courses may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Students will be given a full refund, unless the student requests transfer to another course. Every reasonable effort will be made to reach students of cancellations and/or changes.
Students will be required to bring all orthodontic instruments, some orthodontic supplies that are commonly utilized in an orthodontic practice. Armamentaria such as orthodontically banded typodonts; regular typodonts, bench mounts and some consumable orthodontic materials will be provided by EFDAA. A list of the required materials will be sent to you after you have registered in the course.
To our knowledge there are no institutions providing financial aid for this short of a program. We will be accepting several credit cards, cashier checks, money orders or dentist checks for tuition payment. We accept MasterCard and VISA only
Attendance is mandatory and any missed day requires repeating the course at the regular tuition rate.
Course Written and Practical Examinations
Written examination will be given to you as part of your homestudy on the last day of class. Practical examinations will be given throughout the course. The homestudy syllabus is very comprehensive and will prepare you for the state OA written examination. Your continued study is the key to successfully becoming a permitted OA.
Experienced orthodontic educators will be providing instruction for this course.
OA Dental Board Written Examination Information
After January 1, 2010, all graduates from the program will be required to sit and pass a Dental Board administered written examination in procedures listed in the OA category. This written examination must be with a 75% pass rate.
Registration for Orthodontic Assistant (OA) Permit Course
* The homestudy education will be provided via e-mail after we have completed the registration process.