RDAEFs ... Are You Interested In Expanding Your Scope Of Practice?
Update RDAEF Program For The Licensed RDAEF- Tustin, California
Currently licensed RDAEFs are eligible to complete a 318 Hour RDAEF Update Program in the following new procedures:
- Conduct preliminary evaluation of the patient's oral health, including, but not limited to, charting, intraoral and extra-oral evaluation of soft tissue, classifying occlusion, and myofunctional evaluation.
- Perform oral health assessments in school-based, community health project settings under the direction of a dentist, registered dental hygienist, or registered dental hygienist in alternative practice.
- Cement endodontic master points and accessory points.
- Take final impressions for tooth-borne removable prosthesis.
- Place, contour, finish, and adjust all direct restorations.
- Polish and contour existing amalgam restorations.
- Adjust and cement permanent indirect restorations.
Program Information - 2014 - 2015
EFDAA's 318 Hour RDAEF program will be starting again on October 11, 2014 at our training facility in Tustin, California..
New Program Requirements
In November 2011, new regulations affecting the RDAEF program were adopted by the Dental Board. These new requirements add an externship component to the program where students will be placing, contouring and finishing of direct restorations on clinical patients at their own office while being supervised by their dentist. More information on this exciting new requirement will appear below.
Click here to fill out a registration form for the class.
Why enroll in EFDAA’s EF Update Program? The best reason is that we have an overall pass rate of 90% on the state exam..the highest pass rate of any school in Southern California. In addition, we have the lowest tuition and kit cost and a small class size of only 10 students.
EFDAA’s EF Update program has the following benefits:
- 76 hours of the mandated hours are conducted in a visual classroom online in the comfort of your own home on Thursday evenings or through assigned taped lectures..
- Course enrollment is limited to 10 students per instructor. This small class size allows you to receive individualized assistance, which is critical to learning these complex procedures.
- Courses are being held in a dental training facility in Tustin, California, which is central to many Southern California cities and has easy access by freeways.
General Program Information
RDAEF 318 hour program for RDAEFs will be taught in a series of three individual courses that must be successfully completed in sequence within the program.
- Each course is offered in such a manner that students will have greater flexibility in making their required budgetary and time commitment to complete this program.
- Students must pass each course with 75% pass rate before proceeding to the next course. A failure of any course will require that the individual repeat said course for an additional tuition or drop out of the program.
Prior to entrance into the program, the following pre-requisites must be met. Photocopies of the following documents must be submitted with your registration form, tuition payment for Course 1 and the fee for the student armamentaria kit.
- Valid California RDA license.
- Certifications in coronal polishing, x-ray and pit and fissure sealants
- Valid CPR Card from American Red Cross or American Heart Association
- Proof of Liability Insurance Coverage. (this is a copy of your employer's malpractice insurance)
Participants will need to provide many of their own instruments and consumable supplies which are typically found in their dental office. An “EF Program Issued Armamentaria Kit” will be required for each student. The cost of this kit will be $1,600. It will include items such as a “special typodont” required for Dental Board examination, over 125 prepared amalgam/composite teeth; amalgam/composite material and much more.
Supervising Dentist Requirements
Now that there is a clinical externship requirement mandated by the Dental Board, a supervising dentist is required. The responsibility and time commitment for this supervising dentist is minimal.
He/she must attend only a 2 hour lecture defining the clinical externship requirements of the program, as well as RDAEF management protocol. Be sure your dentist is available on the following date: Supervising Dentist Management Lecture Course: November 1, 2014 - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
Clinical Requirements - Externship
As part of the clinical requirements for the program, each student will be required to place, contour and finish at least twenty (20) direct restorations in prepared permanent teeth with the following requirements:
- At least fifty (50) percent of the experiences shall be Class II restorations using esthetic materials.
- At least twenty (20) percent of the experiences shall be Class V restorations using esthetic materials.
- At least ten (10) percent of the experiences shall use amalgam.
These procedures will be performed near the completion of the program when the student has demonstrated laboratory competency. All procedures must be performed under the "direct supervision" of a supervising dentist.
Program Dates and Hours
All students enrolled begin their online and taped education in October 2014. This instruction runs from 7:00 to 9:00 PM on selected Thursday evenings or when assigned.
Classroom Instruction - Schedule for Courses 1, 2, and 3
Time: 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM each day
Enrollments are based on a first come first serve basis, so enroll early to ensure a seat!
Payment for Course 1 - upon enrollment
October 11 and 12
October 25 and 26
November 8 and 9
November 22 and 23
December 6 and 7
Payment for Course 2– December 31, 2014
January 10 and 11
January 17 and 18
January 31 and February 1
Payment for Course 3 – February 1, 2015
February 14 and 15
February 28 and March 1
March 7 and 8
The externship component part of the program will start after the student has become laboratory proficient and must be completed by April 15, 2015..
A mandatory 1 day of instruction will be scheduled prior after the classroom instruction; externship and prior to practical/clinical examination administered by Dental Board.
Tuition costs for 2014 - 2015
Course 1 - $3,600
Course 2 - $2,600
Course 3 - $2,600
Mandatory Student Kit - $1,600
*It is highly recommended that students acquire lighted loupes for this course.
What is included in the tuition and “student armamentaria kit”
Tuition provides students with all instruction, instructional handouts and many supplies, such as rubber dam instruments, bench mounts; use of pediatric typodont, etc. The student kit provides students with dental materials such as amalgam, composite; adult typodont with cheeks; over 125 specially prepared teeth for amalgam and composite; impression material; light cured base material; simulated endodontic teeth etc. that are usually listed by other course providers as required items. Instead of asking students to buy these products through a retailer provider, EFDAA has secured these products at a discounted rate and packaged them for student’s use.
When do I receive information on the additional instruments and supplies that I will need to bring from my office?
Upon receipt of your registration form, payment and acceptance, we will e-mail you a supply list, in addition to other critical information about the program.
When can I enroll in Course 1?
The tuition of $3,600 and mandatory student kit fee of $1600 are due the time of enrollment. Payment for each additional course will be listed above. Payments are made in the form of a cashier’s check, credit card or dentist’s check.
We take MasterCard and VISA only. We urge you to enroll early to ensure a seat in the class. We have small class sizes to provide you with the highest quality education.
Due to the complex nature of this program and high demand for seats, no refund can be given to a student after the enrollment number has reached 10. This includes fees for student kit and tuition for Course 1.
To our knowledge there are no institutions providing financial aid for this short of a program. We will be accepting several credit cards and money orders for tuition payment. You will only need to pay for one course at a time. It is extremely important to create a budget that includes plans for the entire program tuition.
What is needed to participate in the virtual online classroom instruction?
You will need a computer with a sound card and speakers. Most computers today have these two features.
Attendance to classroom instruction is mandatory and any missed day must be made up at an additional cost to the student. Participating in the online/taped series is also mandatory when assigned.
In addition to preparing for examinations, after you have gained skill in placing restorations, you will be asked to practice these skills outside of class to gain even more proficiency. These projects will be critiqued by the instructor. Practicing procedures accurately not only is enjoyable, but contributes to competency and success.
Written and Practical/Clinical Examinations
Written examinations will be given online. Practical and clinical examinations will be given throughout the course to prepare you for the practical/clinical state Board examinations. Your continued study and practical application is the key to successfully becoming an RDAEF.
An experienced educator will be providing instruction for this program.
RDAEF Board Examination Information
All RDAEF graduates from the Update Program will be required to sit and pass a Dental Board administered practical examination. This examination will include:
- Successful completion of two of the following procedures on a simulated patient head mounted in appropriate position and accommodation an articulated typodont in an enclosed intra-oral environment, or mounted on a dental chair in a dental operatory
- Place, condense and carve an amalgam restoration
- Place and contour a nonmetallic direction restoration
- Polish and contour an existing amalgam restoration
How do I reach EFDAA if I have any questions?
The easiest and most efficient way to contact us is via the e-mail system. Contact us at email@example.com. If you wish to reach us by phone, call 760-200-2851.